INDIVIDUAL VOLUNTEERS must attend an orientation before joining a program and some opportunities will require a background check and a clean driving record. Orientations are held on Thursday evenings several times a month. Check the calendar for the next scheduled meeting. You will also need to fill out an application and select which program(s) you are interested in.
Good Neighbor - Individuals
Be a good neighbor to a senior in your community. Do what any good neighbor would do: help take out the trash, buy groceries, sort mail, fix a broken table, take the dog for a walk, or deliver nutritional supplements and other necessities, like microwaves and blankets. There are countless ways to be a Good Neighbor to a Meals on Wheels senior.
- Change a senior’s life; change your own. Simple tasks and errands are so critical to our homebound senior clients and are often the start of a meaningful friendship for you.
- Good Neighbors volunteer in every neighborhood of San Francisco.
- Volunteers who make deliveries pick up their items at our office, Monday through Friday, 9:00am to 4:00 pm.
- All Good Neighbors must attend an Orientation and complete an application and background check before volunteering.
- Good Neighbors who drive to deliver must have a clean DMV record and current auto insurance.
- Most Good Neighbors set their own schedule. We ask for 5 hours' commitment per month with a minimum commitment of 6 months.
Services our Good Neighbors provide:
- Friendly Visitor: Spend time with a senior at their home. Play a game, talk over some tea, or go for a walk to make a simple, but profound impact in their lives.
- Shopping: Help a senior by going grocery shopping for them.
- Client Needs: Deliver critical items, help fix a household item, or teach a senior a new skill.
- Dietary Supplements: Deliver nutritional supplements (e.g. Ensure) to clients as needed.
ADOPT–A-BUILDING - Groups
You can help us feed the heart of the city. In the Tenderloin and SoMa, there are 30 buildings that house 600 homebound seniors in small residential hotel rooms. Our Adopt-a-Building program fights senior hunger and isolation where the need is greatest.
- Experience direct interaction with homebound seniors through our meal delivery service
- Volunteer with your co-workers on a weekly or daily basis for an hour or less on simple walking routes
- We bring the meals to the building, you just bring the meals to the seniors and check on them
- Walking routes are available in SoMa and the Tenderloin
- Each shift includes 2–4 volunteers for buildings with 10–50 residents
THANK-YOU ADOPT-A-BUILDING PARTNERS
Dolby, First Round Capital, Fox Vocational, Howard Properties, Metromile, Mintz Levin, Northern California Community Loan Fund, Optimizely, Planet, Salesforce, Spencer Stuart, Twitter, Zendesk
Together, you provide service to 10 buildings serving 200 unique clients & deliver 1,176 meals per week
HOME DELIVERED GROCERIES - Groups & Individuals
There is nothing more nourishing to the body and the soul than a home-cooked meal. However, for many seniors living on a fixed income in San Francisco, fresh and nutritious food is a luxury they cannot afford.
• Shifts are available every Wednesday from 7:00am to 9:00am for grocery assembly and 9am to noon for delivery.
HOME DELIVERED MEALS - Individuals
We are committed to the belief that all seniors have the right to live independently with dignity and respect in their own homes for as long and as safely as possible. No one has a more direct relationship to this mission than our Home Delivered Meals Driver-Client Specialists. Collectively, they hand deliver 6,000 meals a day with a smile to every corner of San Francisco.
Our HDM team currently needs help delivering meals on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. This HDM volunteer role would consist primarily in assisting our current driver’s in delivering and checking in on our clients on these days. Two separate shifts would be available from either: 7:00am – 10:00am or 10:30am – 1:30pm (with flexibility to extend up to one hour dependent upon various factors such as traffic, weather, missed meals etc.).
Qualified volunteers must have passed a background check, able to lift up to 50lbs, and be able to navigate as many as 80 flights of stairs throughout the day.
If you are interested and able, please join us in our mission to make San Francisco a brighter place for those who need it most. As a bonus, you even get to ride around in our branded vehicles! Please note that we ask for a 6 month commitment in this volunteer position.
DISASTER KIT DELIVERIES - Groups
Every year we help to ensure that over 4,500 homebound seniors and people with disabilities are equipped, educated and safe if a disaster were to hit our city.
We organize the delivery of disaster kits containing food and water to the city’s most vulnerable populations
- You can help by joining us for two to three hours to deliver kits to seniors
- We provide pre-prepared kits and easy-to-walk routes
Card Making - Groups & Individuals
All year long, you can let one of our 4,500 Meals on Wheels seniors know that people care about them, especially during their birthday month. Every year since 1970, our volunteers have made and distributed hand-made Birthday, Thinking of You, Valentine's, winter holiday cards, and Thanksgiving placemats! We want each client to know that we care; and for many of our seniors, the card you make may be the only card they receive during holidays and celebratory or difficult times.
Special Events - Groups & Individuals
Every year, hundreds of volunteers support Meals on Wheels by volunteering at fundraisers, special events, our annual Star Chefs & Vintners Gala, Thanksgiving, the winter holidays, and more!
We also recruit event volunteers on an as-needed basis. Become a volunteer to learn more about these fun opportunities.