Meals on Wheels San Francisco as your IRA beneficiary
Another powerful way to leverage your IRA is by naming Meals on Wheels San Francisco as the beneficiary on all or part of your account. Individuals who inherit retirement plan assets are usually required to pay income tax on them, so they’re often considered among the best assets to leave to charity. It’s as easy as filling out a form which you can request from your IRA administrator.
What are the benefits of an IRA gift?
You can maximize your support of Meals on Wheels San Francisco
Because you are not required to pay income taxes on charitable gifts made through your IRA, your dollars will go even further to support our teams around the world.
You can meet your required minimum distribution (RMD)
Once you turn 73, your IRA gift can also be used to meet your annual RMD-the amount of money that all IRA owners above a certain age must withdraw each year to avoid tax penalties. Making a QCD gift can go towards fulfilling your RMD for the year and reduce your taxable income.
You’ll lower your tax bill
Whether it’s part of an RMD or not, a gift from your IRA goes directly from your account to Meals on Wheels San Francisco and is therefore excluded from your taxable income.
How do I qualify?
- You must be 70 1/2 or older at the time of making a gift from your IRA.
- You may give up to $100,000 through your IRA each calendar year. We recommend initiating the process by early November so that it can be fully processed by December 31.
- Distributions must come directly from your IRA custodian to Meals on Wheels San Francisco, without the funds ever being withdrawn by you.
How can I make a gift from my IRA?
- Contact your IRA administrator and request an “IRA Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD)” be made to Meals on Wheels San Francisco. Our tax ID is 94-1741155.
- Your financial institution will transfer your IRA gift directly to us, as follows:
- Check made out to Meals on Wheels San Francisco
- Identifying you as the donor by full name and address
- Mailed to:
Meals on Wheels San Francisco
2142 Jerrold Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94124
- Some IRA gifts arrive to us without complete donor information, so please make sure to notify us of your contribution by contacting Salena Bailey at email@example.com or 415-343-1267.