Join Us | Staff Opportunities
Position / Title: Staff Accountant
Reports To: Director of Finance
We are looking for a talented and motivated Staff Accountant who is interested in applying his/her skills to a dynamic and growing non-profit organization. The Staff Accountant will report to the Director of Finance and Sr. Accountant. The Staff Accountant is responsible for A/P, A/R, Payroll, Fixed Assets, Journal Entries and financial statements.
Meals On Wheels of San Francisco (MOWSF) is committed to the belief that all seniors have the right to live independently with dignity and respect in their own homes for as long as it is safely possible. It is our mission to provide isolated homebound seniors in San Francisco with nutritious meals, daily human contact, and supportive services to prevent their premature institutionalization.
The food, companionship, safety checks, and other support we provide are vital services for seniors who want to continue living in their own homes but cannot shop or prepare meals for themselves. Our network of drivers, social workers, nutritionists, community partners, volunteers, donors, and advocates are a formidable force against senior neglect and malnutrition. We believe in delivering more than a meal – we are nourishing the whole person.
As the largest provider of home-delivered meals in the city, MOWSF delivers more than 1.3 million meals annually to more than 3,300 seniors in every neighborhood of San Francisco. Our office and kitchen are located in the Bayview neighborhood.
- Ensure accurate coding and approval on all bills and check requests before entering into the accounting system
- Make and record credit card payments and reconcile with the credit card requests forms or receipts
- Prepare weekly check run for check signers, including all backup documentation.
- Maintain all filing for vendors, payroll, and employees.
- Prepare deposits of cash and checks, ensure correct coding in GL. Deposit cash in bank on as-needed basis
- Record all bank activities
- Complete Bank Reconciliation and Investment Reconciliation to be reviewed by Director of Finance.
- Ensure backup support documents are well organized and maintained in a safe and secure environment.
- Reconcile contributed income with Development staff.
- Act as a back-up for bi-weekly ADP payroll processing
- Respond to employee inquires for payroll records
- Assist in preparation and distribution of Check Stubs W-2’s and 1099’s
- Assist in preparing payroll journal entries and vacation accrual journal entries
- Develop ad hoc financial and operational reporting as needed
- Maintain fixed assets and inventory records and update depreciation schedule
- Make monthly journal entries for the month-end close.
- Produce monthly department statements and distribute.
- Respond to department heads’ inquiries regarding financial statements and ad-hoc reports
- Assist Director of Finance in preparing schedules, analysis and documentation requested by CEO, Senior Management and external auditors.
- Assist with other projects and duties as needed
Qualifications and Personal Characteristics:
- Demonstrate a deep and genuine connection to the MOWSF mission
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration
- Minimum 3 years accounting experience
- Must have a strong work ethic and attention to detail
- Proficient in Excel and other MS office applications – Great Plains experience a plus
Salary is competitive with nonprofits in San Francisco and commensurate with experience. This is a full-time position with a generous benefits package that currently includes three weeks of vacation to start, sick leave, 12 paid holidays, employer-paid health care, dental, vision, and pension plan contributions by employer.
Candidates should email a resume (salary requirement) and a thoughtful cover letter with “Staff Accountant” in the subject line to jobs<at>mowsf.org
Interviews will commence in late July and continue until the position is filled.
Please no phone calls.